ABILENE, Texas - An animal cruelty investigation is underway in north Abilene after a dog was found dead on a leash in a backyard.
The remains had been removed when KTXS arrived at the home in the 1900 block of North 2nd Street. But we were sent a photo by a concerned neighbor.
GALLERY --> http://www.ktxs.com/623570333 (WARNING: CONTAINS GRAPHIC PHOTO)
The dog’s face is gone and most of the head is just a skull. Something also appears to have happened to the right hind-end of the dog.
The owner told KTXS she found her 2-year-old Blue Nose Fawn, named Shadow, hanging Sunday and got sick while taking it down.
The woman said she had to work Monday and intended to call Abilene Animal Services on Tuesday. But she could not find the number.
She believes someone intentionally hanged her dog.
As to why the face was gone, she said one of her other pit bulls ate it after Shadow died.
Animal Services removed the carcass Tuesday afternoon. No other dogs were removed.
KTXS called APD which said they are investigating the case as animal cruelty.
No charges have been filed. But police say it would be a state jail felony. According to Texas penal code 49.092, animal cruelty is a felony when a person intentionally “tortures an animal or in a cruel manner kills or causes serious bodily injury to an animal.”
A city spokesperson told Animal Services has responded to the home two other times in the past year.
- 9/6/2016 – Check welfare of two pit bull puppies. The officer left a letter related to shelter for one dog and information about proper tethering
- 12/28/2016 – Check welfare of a skinny pit bull on a short tether. The officer was unable to make contact with the owners. He saw tethers in the back yard, but no dogs. When he knocked on the front door, he could hear dogs barking inside and left a notice.
If you ever witness an animal that appears to be in any distress, call City of Abilene Animal Services at (325) 698-0085.
WARNING: GALLERY CONTAINS GRAPHIC PHOTO
- Updated Fake City of Abilene account launches new Facebook page
- Texas man killed, hit while walking on Louisiana highway
- Airline boots breast-feeding Texas mom from plane
- Transgender people can enlist in U.S. military Jan. 1, despite Trump opposition
- Snapchat photo of baby in bag leads to Oklahoma couple's arrest
- Shipping deadlines quickly approaching for Christmas
- Abilene police buy presents for 'Operation Blue Santa'
- Abilene house fire leaves $30,000 in damages
- City of Abilene asks public for feedback on Lake Kirby
- City of Abilene receives $18.37 million for smart water meters
- Police pursuit ends with Abilene suspect in custody
Copyright 2017 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Former Brown County teacher arrested for having improper relationship with student
- Brownwood holds its annual Lighted Christmas Parade
- Records: Brown County game warden fired for sending nude photos, racist text messages
- Old Brownwood fire station sold to make way for fast food restaurant
- School zone signs placed near Brown County Christian school
- Pregnant woman who led Brownwood officers on chase indicted
- Stamford's James Washington claims Biletnikoff Award as nation's best receiver
- 27 indicted by Taylor County grand jury
- DPS identifies construction worker killed by 18-wheeler on I-20 in Sweetwater
- Mother of Big Country sexual assault victim speaks out
- Rain hits Big Country, wintry mix in some areas
- Sweetwater teen in critical condition after being hit by pickup