ABILENE, Texas - ACU Wildcat football enters its final home game this weekend against Sam Houston State, with what seems to be a new face at the helm..
In Saturday's overtime loss at Northwestern State, redshirt freshman Luke Anthony got the start in place of Dallas Sealey and shined. Anthony, out of All Saints Episcopal school in Fort Worth, threw for 345 yards and two touchdowns in his first career start, as the Wildcats would fall just short after a missed FG in overtime.
ACU and coach Adam Dorrel declined to comment on the reasoning Anthony was called up to replace Junior starter Dallas Sealey – who ended up not even making the trip to Louisiana on Saturday. Dorrel said he’d like to talk about “the positives within our program.”
“Yeah we're just -- we're going to play the people that give us the best option to win,” Dorrel said at Wednesday’s press conference. “Other spots out there are injury related, but some of that other stuff -- we'll continue to move other people around."
But while the uncertainty surrounding Sealey’s future lingers, it is clear that Anthony provides a spark and just may be the guy moving forward.
"He didn't falter,” said senior linebacker Sam Denmark. “He looked like a seasoned starter and did really well and you wouldn't be able to tell that it was his first start out there on the field. A great showing of the offense too to step around him and build him up."
ACU and Sam Houston State’s kick-off time at Wildcat Stadium has been moved up from 6 p.m. to 2 p.m.
- Goldsboro man, 71, charged with murder at Big Country ranch south of Abilene
- Ann Wedgeworth, born in Abilene & known for 'Three's Company' role, dies at 83
- Bicyclist injured after hitting vehicle in north Abilene
- KTXS Forecast: Quiet Sunday ahead
- Kidnapping suspect claims he thought he was driving his own car & child to Houston
- Love and Care MInistries unloads 13 trailers of donated items
- Abilene police may use DNA-based composites to solve crimes
- Police continuing search for Abilene car chase suspect
- Mission Thanksgiving kicks off for 19th year
- School fair taking place in Abilene to answer questions about college
- Former Abilene ISD teacher indicted for biting autistic student
- Blankinship's family says they can begin healing after suspect's arrest
- Pastor describes Ryan Riggs' murder confession at Brownwood church
- Brown County Sheriff: Murder suspect wasn't ‘on radar' until composite sketch released
- Brownwood murder suspect shared Facebook posts about victim in days after her death
- Parents of Brownwood murder victim break down in tears when talking about arrest of alleged killer
- Sheriff: Brownwood man confesses in church to killing Chantay Blankinship
- Coleman County house a total loss after weekend fire
- Hawley parent: Son did not make threats against school
- Police investigating early morning shooting in Sweetwater
- Underground silo shows Cold War history in the Big Country
- 106-year-old train depot in Snyder torn down
- Superintendent: Student detained after terroristic threat in Hawley ISD