ARLINGTON, Texas - A person familiar with the deal tells The Associated Press that free agent outfielder Shin-Soo Choo has agreed to a $130 million, seven-year contract with the Texas Rangers.
The person spoke on condition of anonymity Saturday because there was no official announcement about the deal that is pending a physical for the 31-year-old Choo. That person said the physical is expected to be done before Christmas.
The deal comes a month after Texas acquired slugging first baseman Prince Fielder in a trade with Detroit for second baseman Ian Kinsler, the Rangers' primary leadoff hitter.
Choo was Cincinnati's leadoff hitter for 143 games last season, when he had a .423 on-base percentage with 20 stolen bases and 21 home runs.
The deal was first reported by CBSSports.com.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Forecasters say parts of Texas – including Abilene – face critical wildfire danger
- 3 arrested for engaging in organized crime in San Angelo
- Job fair to be held at Abilene Convention Center
- House speaker getting firsthand look at US-Mexico border
- KTXS Forecast: Very warm tomorrow but a cool down to look forward to by the end of the week
- Abilene woman reunited with sister after travel ban struck down
- Man in custody after four-hour standoff in north Abilene
- John Lackey commemorative billboard to serve multiple purposes
- Recycling, parking, discussed at special Abilene City Council meeting
- Abilene police receive $10,000 donation for new K-9