BOSTON - A person with knowledge of the negotiations says free-agent catcher A.J. Pierzynski is closing in on a one-year contract with the Boston Red Sox.
The deal would be pending a physical. The person spoke on condition of anonymity Tuesday because the team hadn't finalized the agreement.
Pierzynski hit .272 with 17 homers and 70 RBIs last season, his only one with the Texas Rangers. He spent the previous eight years with the Chicago White Sox, playing in at least 128 games each season. Pierzynski has a .283 career average with 172 homers and 800 RBIs.
Pierzynski and backup David Ross will be 37 next season. The Red Sox have catching prospects Christian Vazquez and Blake Swihart and were reluctant to re-sign free agent Jarrod Saltalamacchia to a multiyear deal.
- Updated Abilene council to consider approving water rate study, audit
- San Angelo city councilman asked to resign over racial Facebook comments
- Updated Storms result in phone problems at Brownwood Police Department
- Deadly accident in Callahan County, road closed
- Updated Improvements on way for Abilene Zoo if council approves bid
- 140-year-old hardware store to stay open under new ownership
- Brownwood ISD's new calendar includes 3-day weekends every month
- Early man in jail for scamming elderly couple out of $15,000
- Brownwood raid leads to arrests for illegal drugs
- Brownwood takes steps to address wild hog problem at city field