BOSTON - A person with knowledge of the negotiations says free-agent catcher A.J. Pierzynski is closing in on a one-year contract with the Boston Red Sox.
The deal would be pending a physical. The person spoke on condition of anonymity Tuesday because the team hadn't finalized the agreement.
Pierzynski hit .272 with 17 homers and 70 RBIs last season, his only one with the Texas Rangers. He spent the previous eight years with the Chicago White Sox, playing in at least 128 games each season. Pierzynski has a .283 career average with 172 homers and 800 RBIs.
Pierzynski and backup David Ross will be 37 next season. The Red Sox have catching prospects Christian Vazquez and Blake Swihart and were reluctant to re-sign free agent Jarrod Saltalamacchia to a multiyear deal.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated