ABILENE, Texas - A freshman U.S. Congressman representing several areas in West Texas, including Abilene, will serve in two powerful committees this congressional term.
Rep. Jodey Arrington of Texas Congressional District 19 was appointed to both the House Budget and Agriculture committees. The budget committee will play a key role in shaping the federal budget and repealing the Affordable Care Act, also known as Obamacare.
Arrington’s office announced the appointments Tuesday.
McMurry University professor Paul Fabrizio described the selection as an important role for Arrington.
“This is maybe a reward for the fact that the support in [West Texas] for Donald Trump was the highest than it was in any other part of the country,” Fabrizio said.
But Fabrizio said if the effort to repeal Obamacare ends up backfiring on Republicans, it could be bad for Arrington.
“He might be tarred if the whole thing doesn’t work,” he said.
Arrington’s deputy communications director told KTXS the congressman will be in Abilene on Tuesday.
- 6 cows killed, deputy hurt in suspected drunk driving crash
- Residents of community near Snyder report not having water since Wednesday
- Texas wife sentenced to prison for killing officer husband
- Kidnapped Border Patrol agent says he feared for family
- 3-year-old boy dies after he's found in hot car in Texas
- State cornhole championship held in Abilene
- 5 car wreck on Winters Freeway, 1 injured
- 24-hour amateur radio field day taking place this weekend
- 2 taken to Abilene hospital after vehicle strikes go-kart
- CityLink addresses driver shortage with pay bump
- Friends of the Library raises over $60,000 at annual Abilene book sale
- Amputee golf tournament taking place at Lake Brownwood
- Owner of Brownwood restaurant and motel disputes $97,000 fine for health violations
- Budget shortfall affecting maintenance at Texas state parks
- Brownwood ISD, emergency agencies conduct response drills
- Early ISD continuing research on proposal to arm teachers, staff
- 4th of July celebrations around the Big Country
- Area's best showcase their stuff in the State Lineman Challenge
- Train derailed by strong winds in Mitchell County
- More than 100 barrels of oil stolen from Nolan County drilling company
- Brownwood battles heat, snags 7-on-7 state spot in duel with Merkel
- Wanted Wednesday: Abilene police looking for 2 capital murder suspects
- Police arrest 2 Abilene men for stealing car, breaking into 'numerous' vehicles in Merkel