ARLINGTON, Texas (AP) - - Josh Donaldson, Chris Young and Josh Reddick all homered and the AL West-leading Oakland Athletics completed a three-game sweep of the chasing and slumping Texas Rangers with a 5-1 win Sunday.
Oakland took a commanding 6Â½-game division lead with two weeks left after the final regular-season series between the AL West's top two teams. The A's have won five in a row and 13 of 16 overall.
Texas is 2-11 in September after beginning the month with a two-game division lead. The Rangers lost their sixth in row, all at home - this was their first winless homestand of at least six games since moving to Texas in 1972.
The Rangers and Tampa Bay are tied for the two AL wild-card spots in a rapidly tightening race. Texas starts a four-game series at Tropicana Field on Monday.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Updated TDCJ: Criminal charges against Abilene corrections officer dismissed
- Updated Abilene police officer murdered one year ago
- Updated City of Abilene addresses high water bills
- Updated Businesses near Big Country lakes hoping for big Labor Day turnout
- Updated Abilene hobby shop owner talks new drone regulations