BAIRD, Texas - One man died in an 18-wheeler accident in a westbound lane of I-20 near exit 308 Thursday.
The accident happened around 5am just east of Baird. A semi-truck was headed west when it went off the road. It flew over an underpass and slammed into an embankment, coming to rest at the other side of the bridge.
The driver was the only person in the truck. He has been identified as 42-year-old Michael Merritt from Winona, Mississippi. He died at the scene.
Authorities speculate that Merritt may have fallen asleep at the wheel and hit part of the bridge.
- Mistrial declared in sexual assault case against ex-Anson police chief
- Female football official earning her stripes
- Texas presidential poll shows Trump with lead going into election
- Abilene City Council approves hiring two code enforcement officers
- KTXS Forecast: Feeling like late September temperatures
- Brown County commissioners approve sale of old sheriff's office and jail
- Brownwood seeking community input on proposed dog park
- Police: Driver flees after crashing into Early apartment, found at liquor store
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- Inaugural Barktoberfest taking place Saturday seeks to help Brownwood youth