BAIRD, Texas - One man died in an 18-wheeler accident in a westbound lane of I-20 near exit 308 Thursday.
The accident happened around 5am just east of Baird. A semi-truck was headed west when it went off the road. It flew over an underpass and slammed into an embankment, coming to rest at the other side of the bridge.
The driver was the only person in the truck. He has been identified as 42-year-old Michael Merritt from Winona, Mississippi. He died at the scene.
Authorities speculate that Merritt may have fallen asleep at the wheel and hit part of the bridge.
- Man in custody after four-hour standoff in north Abilene
- Abilene woman reunited with sister after travel ban struck down
- Sweetwater ISD makes choice for new head football coach/athletic director
- Brownwood man accused of conning people has criminal record
- Texas officer found dead at law enforcement shooting range