EARLY, Texas - Morgan Kent, a 12-year-old from the Early, recently took first place in her age group at the national powerlifting tournament in Colorado.
Morgan has been around powerlifting her whole life according to her mother, Jennifer Kent.
"When she told us that she wanted to powerlift I wasn't surprised, but I was a little apprehensive," her mother said. "I didn't know if she was ready yet since she's only 12 years old and so we thought well we'll go ahead and let her try it out."
Because her father is a powerlifting coach for both boys and girls, Morgan has been watching the sport since she was little.
"Just growing up around it I thought I should give it a try and I liked it a lot," Morgan said.
Morgan participates in three events: Dead lift where she lifts 168 pounds, bench press where she lifts 77 pounds, and then her favorite, squats where she lifts 161 pounds.
"It was fun to meet new people, but I also kind of like beating them," Morgan said.
With the national powerlifting title, Morgan has the chance to attend the world tournament in Finland, but she will not be attending because it is in February and she will most likely out grow her weight class by then.
- LIVE Emails found during Weiner probe prompted FBI Clinton review
- Updated Police identify victim in west Abilene homicide
- United Supermarket on South 14th Street robbed, suspect sought
- Parents charged after toddler dies in Texas house fire
- Wife of Texas teacher charged in 2 deaths accused of tampering
- Brown County commissioners approve sale of old sheriff's office and jail
- Brownwood seeking community input on proposed dog park
- Police: Driver flees after crashing into Early apartment, found at liquor store
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- Inaugural Barktoberfest taking place Saturday seeks to help Brownwood youth
- Teen killed in Coleman County motorcycle-truck crash
- Teacher Tribute: First-year Wylie teacher receives season's first honor
- Brookesmith school board selects interim superintendent
- Victim testifies against former chief in Anson sexual assault trial
- Clyde Intermediate School teachers save student from choking