EARLY, Texas - Morgan Kent, a 12-year-old from the Early, recently took first place in her age group at the national powerlifting tournament in Colorado.
Morgan has been around powerlifting her whole life according to her mother, Jennifer Kent.
"When she told us that she wanted to powerlift I wasn't surprised, but I was a little apprehensive," her mother said. "I didn't know if she was ready yet since she's only 12 years old and so we thought well we'll go ahead and let her try it out."
Because her father is a powerlifting coach for both boys and girls, Morgan has been watching the sport since she was little.
"Just growing up around it I thought I should give it a try and I liked it a lot," Morgan said.
Morgan participates in three events: Dead lift where she lifts 168 pounds, bench press where she lifts 77 pounds, and then her favorite, squats where she lifts 161 pounds.
"It was fun to meet new people, but I also kind of like beating them," Morgan said.
With the national powerlifting title, Morgan has the chance to attend the world tournament in Finland, but she will not be attending because it is in February and she will most likely out grow her weight class by then.
- Updated Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Sentencing phase kicks off in murder trial of Abilene teen
- Victims ID'd: San Angelo man & boy, 4, apparently drowned while fishing
- Recent thefts raise eyebrows at Abilene hardware store
- Police: Chase from Amarillo ends with shooting in New Mexico
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer