WINGATE, Texas - An 18-wheeler traveling on Highway 153 became airborne and crashed into a tank battery in Runnels County on Sunday.
According to Assistant Chief John Pierik III of the Wingate Volunteer Fire department, the driver was traveling on Highway 153 around 6:30 p.m. on Sunday when he left the road and became airborne about two miles south of Wingate. The truck then struck a tank battery, causing oil to spray across the highway.
The Wingate VFD and Winters Volunteer Fire Department, as well as the Runnels County sheriff, Texas Department of Public Safety, and TxDot all responded to the scene.
The driver was transported via helicopter to Abilene. According to the Wingate VFD, the driver only suffered minor injuries including loss of consciousness.
- Abilene woman reunited with sister after travel ban struck down
- Abilene police receive $10,000 donation for new K-9
- Thief climbs in through roof at Abilene High, steals electronics
- Brownwood man accused of conning people has criminal record
- Recycling, parking, discussed at special Abilene City Council meeting