BROWNWOOD, Texas - Thanks to a very generous donation Brownwood High School's softball stadium will be rebuilt.
An anonymous donor whose daughter played softball at BHS years ago has contributed $300,000 for the project.
Head softball coach Jessica Lynn said the donor wanted this to finally be done and wished to remain anonymous so it could be all about their girls and their new stadium.
"They play hard but getting to play in a state of the art facility may make them play harder," Lynn said. "They don't want to let down the person who donated this. They have confidence and want the program to grow."
This new stadium will have a new press box, concession stand, restroom areas and seat 400 to 600 people – or more than twice the number of current bleachers.
A company from Graham was hired to build the bleachers and press box, but Brownwood ISD maintenance crew will build the concession stand and restrooms.
The bleachers will also be covered so fans can still watch during bad weather and will be wheelchair accessible with ramps and designated seating areas.
"I'm excited even for the girls too because this kind of thing will really bring out a lot of kids, and now they'll get excited, they'll know that you care about their team and their organization and so it really helps a bunch," Brownwood ISD Superintendent Reece Blincoe said.
"I think we'll see it on the field as we start building these facilities."
The current stadium will be torn down and construction on the new one will start in October. It is being scheduled to finish right before practices start in November.
- Mistrial declared in sexual assault case against ex-Anson police chief
- Female football official earning her stripes
- Texas presidential poll shows Trump with lead going into election
- Abilene City Council approves hiring two code enforcement officers
- KTXS Forecast: Feeling like late September temperatures
- Brown County commissioners approve sale of old sheriff's office and jail
- Brownwood seeking community input on proposed dog park
- Police: Driver flees after crashing into Early apartment, found at liquor store
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- Inaugural Barktoberfest taking place Saturday seeks to help Brownwood youth