ABILENE, Texas - Stamford and Anson are just separated by 16 miles – and the two baseball squads have a true rivalry to say the least.
This week they will face each other in a rematch of last year's Class 1A regional final with a trip to the state tournament on the line.
In 2013, this series went to a decisive Game No. 3 and Stamford beat the Tigers 8-5 to punch their ticket to state.
This season, Stamford won their district title on a coin toss, which was a tiebreaker.
Coming down the stretch, Anson's pitching has fueled them. Matt Villanueva and Chase Finley have allowed just six runs combined in their eight playoff games so far.
"The pitchers are doing a good job just staying relaxed [and] doing their thing," Anson Head Coach Mario Estrada said. "[They've been] hitting [their] locations, and getting ground balls, or fly balls when they need to."
"It's gonna come down to the team that plays the best and cleanest baseball," Stamford head coach Lannie Templeton said. "They obviously have good pitching, but we feel like we've had pretty good pitching this year. It can just be a draw of a straw on that deal."
Regional Finals Schedule
Game 1: Thursday, 7 PM, at McMurry
Game 2: Saturday, 12 PM, at McMurry
Game 3 after, if needed.
- Updated Convicted man on Texas Most Wanted sex offender list caught
- Updated Ex-Abilene day care teacher fails to show for trial, warrant issued
- Updated 2 injured in DWI crash in Early, man arrested
- Updated West Texas police say 6 slightly hurt when shot during robbery
- Updated 2 arrested for Texas bank robberies
- Santa Anna man, 28, arrested on drug charges in Coleman
- Texas recognizes Brown County gun store as oldest in state
- Clyde family raising money for son nearly paralyzed in wreck
- City of Early budget proposal includes property tax increase
- Active search over, suspect avoids arrest after high-speed Big Country chase