ABILENE, Texas - Stamford and Anson are just separated by 16 miles – and the two baseball squads have a true rivalry to say the least.
This week they will face each other in a rematch of last year's Class 1A regional final with a trip to the state tournament on the line.
In 2013, this series went to a decisive Game No. 3 and Stamford beat the Tigers 8-5 to punch their ticket to state.
This season, Stamford won their district title on a coin toss, which was a tiebreaker.
Coming down the stretch, Anson's pitching has fueled them. Matt Villanueva and Chase Finley have allowed just six runs combined in their eight playoff games so far.
"The pitchers are doing a good job just staying relaxed [and] doing their thing," Anson Head Coach Mario Estrada said. "[They've been] hitting [their] locations, and getting ground balls, or fly balls when they need to."
"It's gonna come down to the team that plays the best and cleanest baseball," Stamford head coach Lannie Templeton said. "They obviously have good pitching, but we feel like we've had pretty good pitching this year. It can just be a draw of a straw on that deal."
Regional Finals Schedule
Game 1: Thursday, 7 PM, at McMurry
Game 2: Saturday, 12 PM, at McMurry
Game 3 after, if needed.
- Updated Abilene City Council declines to approve curbside recycling program
- Updated Abilene non-profit raising money with rappelling event
- Updated City of Abilene to give away 100 rain barrel kits
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Afternoon stray t-shower possible for West-Central Texas
- Updated Country music star Vince Gill tours West Texas Rehab in Abilene