ABILENE, Texas - Stamford and Anson are just separated by 16 miles – and the two baseball squads have a true rivalry to say the least.
This week they will face each other in a rematch of last year's Class 1A regional final with a trip to the state tournament on the line.
In 2013, this series went to a decisive Game No. 3 and Stamford beat the Tigers 8-5 to punch their ticket to state.
This season, Stamford won their district title on a coin toss, which was a tiebreaker.
Coming down the stretch, Anson's pitching has fueled them. Matt Villanueva and Chase Finley have allowed just six runs combined in their eight playoff games so far.
"The pitchers are doing a good job just staying relaxed [and] doing their thing," Anson Head Coach Mario Estrada said. "[They've been] hitting [their] locations, and getting ground balls, or fly balls when they need to."
"It's gonna come down to the team that plays the best and cleanest baseball," Stamford head coach Lannie Templeton said. "They obviously have good pitching, but we feel like we've had pretty good pitching this year. It can just be a draw of a straw on that deal."
Regional Finals Schedule
Game 1: Thursday, 7 PM, at McMurry
Game 2: Saturday, 12 PM, at McMurry
Game 3 after, if needed.
- Man in custody after four-hour standoff in north Abilene
- Abilene woman reunited with sister after travel ban struck down
- Sweetwater ISD makes choice for new head football coach/athletic director
- Brownwood man accused of conning people has criminal record
- Texas officer found dead at law enforcement shooting range