WINTERS, Texas - A Winters woman charged with two counts of animal cruelty failed to appeal to keep her horses Saturday.
Sandra Bannister was arrested in early September when deputies had to remove more than 40 malnourished horses from her property.
According to the Runnels County Sheriff's Office, one horse was already dead and another had to be euthanized.
Many of the horses had no water to drink.
A judge ruled that the sheriff's office would take custody of the horses.
The horses will be taken to Abilene's animal shelter Monday morning.
They will eventually be put up for adoption.
- Updated Supporters mark slain girl's 10th birthday in Albuquerque
- Updated Police: 2 College Station deaths related to drugs, robbery
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Afternoon pop-up showers possible each day this week
- Updated Fried Jell-O among top food winners for State Fair of Texas
- Updated Construction to begin on Highway 351 in north Abilene