WINTERS, Texas - A Winters woman charged with two counts of animal cruelty failed to appeal to keep her horses Saturday.
Sandra Bannister was arrested in early September when deputies had to remove more than 40 malnourished horses from her property.
According to the Runnels County Sheriff's Office, one horse was already dead and another had to be euthanized.
Many of the horses had no water to drink.
A judge ruled that the sheriff's office would take custody of the horses.
The horses will be taken to Abilene's animal shelter Monday morning.
They will eventually be put up for adoption.
- ACU's Sing Song competition brings visitors, dollars to Abilene
- 2 dead in shooting during fight at Houston strip club
- Police seek help finding suitcase linked to Colorado murder
- Hunters charged in Texas shooting who had blamed immigrants
- Stepson talks how shooter, victim met before San Angelo murder-suicide