ABILENE, Texas - The national average for the cost of the Thanksgiving meal is $49.48.
That number was released by the American Farm Bureau Federation.
Their list examines the cost of a 16 lb. turkey, 12 rolls, stuffing, sweet potatoes and several other turkey day staples.
We examined the lowest priced items from that list at two Abilene grocery stores to find out how Abilene stacks up.
Shoppers at United Supermarkets can expect to pay $47.85 for the same list, $1.63 less than the AFBF's average.
H-E-B shoppers will shell out $37.46, a difference of $12.02.
Despite the numbers, many are willing to shell out much more to make sure that everyone gets their favorites this Thanksgiving.
"So far I've been to the store three or four times, probably $150, it's amazing," says Mary Black, an H-E-B shopper.
Wham Sherrod was at the store with his son today and tells us "the grocery [bill] was $260 yesterday and we're back at the grocery store today".
- Brownwood police asking for public's help in finding escaped man
- Blanket man gets 15 years for two separate agg. assault cases
- Brownwood woman gets 20 years in prison for injuring child
- Brownwood City Council approves bid for sports complex additions
- Brownwood City Council unanimously passes new budget