ABILENE, Texas - The national average for the cost of the Thanksgiving meal is $49.48.
That number was released by the American Farm Bureau Federation.
Their list examines the cost of a 16 lb. turkey, 12 rolls, stuffing, sweet potatoes and several other turkey day staples.
We examined the lowest priced items from that list at two Abilene grocery stores to find out how Abilene stacks up.
Shoppers at United Supermarkets can expect to pay $47.85 for the same list, $1.63 less than the AFBF's average.
H-E-B shoppers will shell out $37.46, a difference of $12.02.
Despite the numbers, many are willing to shell out much more to make sure that everyone gets their favorites this Thanksgiving.
"So far I've been to the store three or four times, probably $150, it's amazing," says Mary Black, an H-E-B shopper.
Wham Sherrod was at the store with his son today and tells us "the grocery [bill] was $260 yesterday and we're back at the grocery store today".
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Improvements on way for Abilene Zoo if council approves bid
- Missing elderly woman found stuck in mud by two Abilene men
- Abilene council to consider approving water rate study, audit
- Abilene attorney vying for Abilene City Council Place 3 spot
- Council 'work session' to focus on curbside recycling, downtown Abilene parking