TUSCOLA, Texas - Two children – thought to be younger than age 10 – were injured in an ATV accident Thursday afternoon south of Abilene.
The youngsters were taken to an Abilene hospital after the ATV tipped over on its side at Coates Avenue and Zachry Avenue, the Department of Public Safety said.
It wasn't immediately clear if the ATV landed on one of the children when the crash occurred after 1:30 p.m.
Both children suffered injuries, but one had more substantial injuries than the other – injuries that were considered non-life threatening but significant.
The accident came at a time when the DPS says more and more children are illegally driving and riding ATVs on roadways.
The children's parents will be cited as a result of the accident.
Representatives of the Taylor County Sheriff's Office and volunteer fire departments from Jim Ned and Buffalo Gap responded to the wreck.
- Witness to Abilene man's murder names Gootee as shooter
- 2 riding in Bangs bike race to honor fallen Texas officers
- Ex-NFL quarterback Tim Tebow to speak in Brownwood next year
- Drone taking video of downtown Abilene streets Sunday
- Updated Police fatality report: Car accidents among top cause of death