TUSCOLA, Texas - Two children – thought to be younger than age 10 – were injured in an ATV accident Thursday afternoon south of Abilene.
The youngsters were taken to an Abilene hospital after the ATV tipped over on its side at Coates Avenue and Zachry Avenue, the Department of Public Safety said.
It wasn't immediately clear if the ATV landed on one of the children when the crash occurred after 1:30 p.m.
Both children suffered injuries, but one had more substantial injuries than the other – injuries that were considered non-life threatening but significant.
The accident came at a time when the DPS says more and more children are illegally driving and riding ATVs on roadways.
The children's parents will be cited as a result of the accident.
Representatives of the Taylor County Sheriff's Office and volunteer fire departments from Jim Ned and Buffalo Gap responded to the wreck.
- Updated Photo of Abilene veteran and his service dog goes viral
- Updated Justin Ross Harris sentenced to life for son's hot-car death
- 1 dead after 2 vehicles go into water-filled Texas sinkhole
- Iraan grad rounding up support from Texas cheerleaders after deadly bus crash
- Oakland fire death toll at 36, likely to climb as investigation continues
- 1 killed in crash on I-20 involving bus carrying high school cheerleaders
- Goodfellows spread holiday cheer in Sweetwater with toy drive
- Rangers turn completed Brown Co. Attorney investigation over to feds
- Ballinger man arrested for ramming multiple patrol cars
- Thousands attend Brownwood Christmas parade