SCURRY COUNTY, Texas - Investigators are staying tight-lipped about a body found in Scurry County Saturday afternoon.
Authorities are calling the location a crime scene and said they may not release where the remains have been sent because they don't want the medical examiner overwhelmed with phone calls.
Last night the FBI, Texas Rangers, and Department of Public Safety ended their search for evidence and skeletal remains in a remote area near Lake J.B. Thomas where the body was found.
It is an area covered with mesquite trees and cactus that can only be accessed on foot.
Law enforcement has not released the age or gender of the remains at this point. It could be days or even weeks before a positive identification is made.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated