BROWNWOOD, Texas - A traffic accident on U.S. Highway 67 northeast of Ballinger early Sunday resulted in the deaths of a Brownwood High School senior and a Zephyr High graduate.
Killed in the crash were Billy Edward Jones, an 18-year-old BHS senior and member of the Lions baseball team, and Bolton Layne Day, a 19-year-old 2013 graduate of ZHS.
The accident occurred at 6:29 a.m. Sunday about 9.7 miles from Ballinger.
While Jones died at the scene, Day – who was driving a 2002 Ford Ranger – was pronounced dead after being transported to a San Angelo hospital, according to the Texas Department of Public Safety.
A second passenger - 16-year-old Kelly Blake Delacruz of Brownwood - was transported to Ballinger Memorial Hospital, where he was treated and released.
Jones, Day and Delacruz weren't wearing seat belts at the time of the crash, DPS said.
According to DPS, Day was traveling northeast on U.S. 67 while a second vehicle – driven by Jessie Roland Robles, 49, of Joshua – was traveling southwest.
A DPS news release said Day's vehicle crossed the center stripe and entered the lane occupied by Robles' 2009 Ford F-250. When Robles steered to the right to attempt to avoid contact, the vehicles sideswiped, the release said.
Day's vehicle struck a flatbed trailer being towed by Robles, causing Day's Ranger to roll over "to its left," DPS said. After rolling, Day's vehicle came to rest upright in the middle of U.S. 67 facing south. Robles' vehicle came to rest on the north shoulder of U.S. 67 facing southwest.
Meanwhile, Brownwood ISD Board President Michael Cloy told the Brownwood Bulletin that he received an email from Superintendent Reece Blincoe Sunday morning stating that Jones had been killed in the accident.
"We're all in shock," Cloy said. "Many students are hurt and saddened by this."
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated
- Walter murder trial: 'Formality' in sentencing to call Abilene couple back to court Thursday