COLORADO CITY, Texas - "Hope for Hailey" and Hailey Dunn's family have called upon a particular pastor several times for Hailey's vigils.
The Colorado City teen went missing on Dec. 27, 2010. Dunn's remains were found near Lake JB Thomas in March and identified on Friday.
Pastor Monte Wike of First Christian Church spoke at the Friday vigil for Hailey, the day her remains were confirmed. Hearts were heavy Sunday morning at Wike's church as people are still trying to make sense of the tragedy.
Wike only knew Hailey briefly through substitute teaching her band class. He got to know her better through her family after Hailey's disappearance. The Colorado City community is trying to cope with the mystery of Hailey's death.
"My heart aches for the people and especially for her friends," Wike said. "I've had several of those kids in schools and to see them try to cope with this is just hard."
Wike said he's thankful for the discovery of Dunn's body, which has brought her family one step closer to receiving closure.
"I also faced the certainty that I didn't think she was coming back," Wike said. "Certainty was what I was after."
The Hope for Hailey group said they'll organize a memorial for Hailey after they speak with Hailey's family. Counseling will be available in Colorado City schools for middle and high school students this week.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated