The news of coaches leaving our area for different coaching pastures kept pouring in as 2014 began to unfold. Now, those schools that bid their coaches farewell are filling vacant spots in droves.
Snyder, Merkel and Stamford all confirmed Thursday that they have finalists for their respective jobs.
Snyder ISD's board will vote on April 10 to confirm assistant James Polk as its new head football coach and athletic director. Polk will take over for Aubrey Sims, who left to coach Iowa Park.
Merkel is looking to another familiar face to replace Kieth Mullins. The school board will vote Wednesday to hire John Cornelius. Cornelius is a former assistant and coordinator for the Badgers (2005-09). He spent the 2009-13 seasons as head coach at 1A Tahoka.
When Stamford promoted Ronnie Casey to head football coach and athletic director, it meant they also needed to find someone to replace him as head boys basketball coach.
The school district is putting the final touches on hiring Dean Edwards to take over the Bulldogs boys hoops program.
These three hirings come just a few days after Eastland named Cliff Watkins as its next head football coach. Watkins was most recently the offensive coordinator at 5A Midland Lee. He takes over for Brian Hulett.
Breckenridge made a big splash hiring Casey Hubble, the co-offensive coordinator for two-time defending 4A Division I state champ, Denton Guyer. He takes over for Steve Freeman who resigned.
Anson also ended its coaching search earlier this year. They hired former Breckenridge assistant Chris Hagler to take over for Keith Woolf.
- Retired Texas teachers' health care premiums projected to double
- Updated Abilene mayor says city playing 'catch up' on roads
- Updated Teen flown to Abilene hospital after Sweetwater rollover crash
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Warm, quiet conditions to finish the week
- Updated Abilene man arrested for sexually assaulting woman who refused sex
- Abilene ISD bus barn ransacked during break-in
- Dyess Big Country AirFest to arrive at Abilene Regional Airport
- Abilene man arrested for sexually assaulting woman who refused sex
- Jury finds Abilene mother guilty of intentionally starving baby
- Country stars headed to Abilene for Outlaws and Legends music festival
- Event to fight hunger in Brown County offering soup, bowls
- Brown County Christian school gets anonymous donation to pay for safety signs
- Brownwood joins several Big Country cities in suspending hikes to energy rates
- Hendrick Surgery Center in Brownwood set to open in May
- Brown County DA getting new software to increase transparency