COLORADO CITY, Texas - Passage of two bond propositions in Colorado City will result in $30 million being generated for construction of a new pre-K through eighth grade building, along with a new fine arts and athletic facility.
Kelley Elementary School, Hutchinson Elementary School and Colorado Middle School will be combined into one campus. They, however, will still have their own identities.
"They don't share anything," Colorado ISD Superintendent Reggy Spencer said. "They have their own eating areas. It does share one central kitchen, but again the eating areas are separate. The kids have bathrooms in their classrooms in the pre-K, the kindergarten and the first grade. Second grade has their bathrooms at the end of the hall. Third and fourth grade have their own bathrooms."
The new building is planned to be energy efficient, have up-to-date technology and save money for the district.
"Just last week we had a water leak," Spencer said. "Some of those lines are 70, 80 years old. A water leak appeared about a four foot hole in the ground and it looks like it's going to cost us $5,000 extra in water this month."
A main reason for the new building was safety and security. Now there will only be two entrances.
The district will sell the bonds in August. Ground will be broken in November. The project will be completed by August 2015.
The last bond the district issued was for the high school in 1976. The district plans to sell the current school building once the new one opens. District officials expect a 25 percent savings in maintenance and operation in the new building.
An additional note, in the school district's recent election, there was a tie between Larry Mason and Frank Martinez for Place 3. According to Texas law, the board had a few choices. One person could concede, a coin could be flipped or the board could do a recount. The district chose to have a recount. After the re-count is complete, the district will home another election. The date for that election is pending.
- Updated Obama shortens more than 100 prison sentences
- Updated TDCJ: Criminal charges against Abilene corrections officer dismissed
- Updated Texan who faked being decorated Navy SEAL gets prison
- Updated New 'Dancing With the Stars' cast includes ex-Gov. Rick Perry, 12 others
- Updated Whistleblower lands a $22 million payday from SEC
Copyright ©2016 by KECI, KCFW, KTVM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Abilene ISD expecting more money from state for higher enrollment
- Ex-Abilene day care teacher fails to show for trial, warrant issued
- Abilene, Big Country teams ranked in AP football poll
- Clyde community raises money for family after car accident
- Homeowner: '20 or 30 years of my life gone' in Abilene house fire