CALLAHAN COUNTY, Texas - The Texas Department of Public Safety has been able to identify one of three people killed in a fiery two-vehicle head-on crash about 4:06 p.m. Monday in Callahan County.
The accident happened on Texas Highway 36 – at mile marker 330 – west of Cross Plains.
The two vehicles in the crash caught fire. Two occupants were in each vehicle, according to DPS spokesman Sparky Dean.
Killed were Steven Wayne Pickett, 64, of Cross Plains, and an unidentified driver and unidentified passenger in a second vehicle.
Pickett was driving a Ford pickup when the accident occurred. A passenger in Pickett's vechile – William Bryan Partain, 36, of Graham – was taken to Hendrick Medical Center in Abilene.
Remains of the three killed in the accident were taken to the Tarrant County Medical Examiner's Officer in Fort Worth.
Investigators have been unable to identify the type and the make of the second vehicle involved, Dean said.
Two rescue workers at the scene had to seek medical attention.
In the news release, Dean said the weather was clear and the roadway dry at the time of the accident. The crash is being investigated by Trooper Brent Berry.
- Updated 1 dead after 2 vehicles go into water-filled Texas sinkhole
- Iraan grad rounding up support from Texas cheerleaders after deadly bus crash
- Updated Oakland fire death toll at 36, likely to climb as investigation continues
- Prominent Texas personal injury attorney dies week after daughter's suicide
- KTXS Forecast: One last shot of rain today, then much colder air arrives by mid-week
- 1 killed in crash on I-20 involving bus carrying high school cheerleaders
- Goodfellows spread holiday cheer in Sweetwater with toy drive
- Rangers turn completed Brown Co. Attorney investigation over to feds
- Ballinger man arrested for ramming multiple patrol cars
- Thousands attend Brownwood Christmas parade