COMANCHE CO., Texas - The family of Amber Lowery, who has been missing for more than a week, said violence has been a part of the couple's relationship before.
Shanon Christensen, Amber's brother, said Amber has had problems with Mike throughout their marriage. In fact, the West Plains Police Department in Missouri confirmed Mike Lowery was arrested for domestic violence against Amber years ago.
Shannon said Amber always went back to Mike because she thought it would be best for her children.
Shanon said he was told by officers that this has turned into a murder investigation.
"They told us in a roundabout way that we have sufficient evidence to suggest that we are only looking for a body at this point," said Shanon.
Amber's husband, Mike Lowery, was arrested and charged with her murder Tuesday. The last time anyone heard from Amber was July 23nd. That's when Amber sent her brother Ryan a terrifying message.
"She told him, 'if anything happens to me Mike did something to me,'" said Shanon.
It put the entire family on edge, but it wasn't like they had never heard it before.
"There's been several times, even the night of my parents funeral, we all got a text from her saying that she feared for her life, but don't call and don't text cause it would make it worse," said Shanon.
He said the family always obeyed her pleas, but they hoped it would end differently.
"I want them to find my sister. I know she's gone, but I want to find her. I want to find her so we can give her a proper burial. We owe that to her," Shanon said.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated