ABILENE, Texas - Two people are dead and two others remain in "fair" condition at Hendrick Medical Center in the wake of a one-vehicle accident in Jones County early Sunday morning.
Police said Christopher Ryan Alaniz, 16, of New Home, Texas, fell asleep at the wheel while traveling home from a funeral service in Seminole.
The car drifted off U.S. Highway 180, one mile west of the intersection at Farm Road 600 around 1 a.m. Sunday morning.
The car hit a guardrail before going airborne at a dry creek bed.
According to police, the two backseat passengers, the driver's brother Eric Keith Alaniz and cousin Bobby Lynn Beavers, were pronounced dead at the scene.
The driver is in fair condition at Hendrick Medical Center. His father, Peter Alaniz, is also there and is also in fair condition, officials said.
The crash is still being investigated.
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Afternoon hit-or-miss t-shower chances continue
- Updated Police: 20-year-old arrested for sexual assault of Brownwood teen
- Updated Zephyr ISD sues over faulty turf, relocates home football games
- Updated Abilene, Big Country teams ranked in AP football poll
- Updated Ex-Abilene day care teacher fails to show for trial, warrant issued
- Abilene, Big Country teams ranked in AP football poll
- Abilene ISD expecting more money from state for higher enrollment
- Clyde community raises money for family after car accident
- Homeowner: '20 or 30 years of my life gone' in Abilene house fire
- Bulldogs find way to win in mistake-filled season opener against Vernon