ABILENE, Texas - Two people are dead and two others remain in "fair" condition at Hendrick Medical Center in the wake of a one-vehicle accident in Jones County early Sunday morning.
Police said Christopher Ryan Alaniz, 16, of New Home, Texas, fell asleep at the wheel while traveling home from a funeral service in Seminole.
The car drifted off U.S. Highway 180, one mile west of the intersection at Farm Road 600 around 1 a.m. Sunday morning.
The car hit a guardrail before going airborne at a dry creek bed.
According to police, the two backseat passengers, the driver's brother Eric Keith Alaniz and cousin Bobby Lynn Beavers, were pronounced dead at the scene.
The driver is in fair condition at Hendrick Medical Center. His father, Peter Alaniz, is also there and is also in fair condition, officials said.
The crash is still being investigated.
- Abilene police make urgent request for help finding missing elderly woman
- Deadly accident in Callahan County, road closed
- Updated Missing Texas dad of 3 is found in Ohio, met someone online
- Rescue network brings adoptable dogs from Texas to Minnesota
- KTXS Forecast: Rain moves out, warmer weather & sunny skies expected
- Brownwood ISD's new calendar includes 3-day weekends every month
- Early man in jail for scamming elderly couple out of $15,000
- Brownwood raid leads to arrests for illegal drugs
- Brownwood takes steps to address wild hog problem at city field
- Brownwood man sentenced to 25 years for role in prison gang drug ring