ABILENE, Texas - Two people are dead and two others remain in "fair" condition at Hendrick Medical Center in the wake of a one-vehicle accident in Jones County early Sunday morning.
Police said Christopher Ryan Alaniz, 16, of New Home, Texas, fell asleep at the wheel while traveling home from a funeral service in Seminole.
The car drifted off U.S. Highway 180, one mile west of the intersection at Farm Road 600 around 1 a.m. Sunday morning.
The car hit a guardrail before going airborne at a dry creek bed.
According to police, the two backseat passengers, the driver's brother Eric Keith Alaniz and cousin Bobby Lynn Beavers, were pronounced dead at the scene.
The driver is in fair condition at Hendrick Medical Center. His father, Peter Alaniz, is also there and is also in fair condition, officials said.
The crash is still being investigated.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated