MERKEL, Texas - Fire destroyed a home in Merkel that has been vacant for several years. Volunteer firefighters said because it has been vacant so long, arson is likely to blame.
The fire broke out at the home on South 2nd and Manchester streets around 11 a.m. Saturday. The home was fully involved by the time the first fire truck arrived.
Because the blaze was so intense and firefighters said they only had a limited water supply, they had to go on the defensive and let the fire burn out. The home was reduced to ashes by about 2:15 p.m.
Firefighters said the home has been vacant approximately 10 years, with no electric or gas utilities connected to it.
Nobody was injured.
- Updated Texas man stung to death by bees
- Updated Italy earthquake: A country in mourning begins burying the dead
- Updated Abilene Fire Department working house fire on Graham Street
- Updated Enrollment up at Abilene, Wylie school districts
- Updated Video of woman chasing cat on Texas tollway prompts warning