ABILENE, Texas - Larry Wayne Benton, Sr., 40, formerly of Eastland, was sentenced to life in prison for continuous sexual abuse of a young child.
The guilty verdict was returned by the jury after only 15 minutes of deliberation.
Benton was on trial for multiple allegations of sexually abusing a child under the age of 14.
The law provides that continuous sexual abuse, which includes sexual contact and sexual assault of a young child or children, on more than one occasion, over a period exceeding 30 days, must carry a minimum sentence of 25 years.
This case marked the second life sentence in two weeks for the 91st Judicial District Court involving child sexual abuse. On Sept. 24, 2013, William Rainey of Gorman also received a life sentence for indecency with a child.
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Afternoon hit-or-miss t-shower chances continue
- Updated Police: 20-year-old arrested for sexual assault of Brownwood teen
- Updated Zephyr ISD sues over faulty turf, relocates home football games
- Updated Abilene, Big Country teams ranked in AP football poll
- Updated Ex-Abilene day care teacher fails to show for trial, warrant issued
- Abilene, Big Country teams ranked in AP football poll
- Abilene ISD expecting more money from state for higher enrollment
- Clyde community raises money for family after car accident
- Homeowner: '20 or 30 years of my life gone' in Abilene house fire
- Bulldogs find way to win in mistake-filled season opener against Vernon