ABILENE, Texas - Larry Wayne Benton, Sr., 40, formerly of Eastland, was sentenced to life in prison for continuous sexual abuse of a young child.
The guilty verdict was returned by the jury after only 15 minutes of deliberation.
Benton was on trial for multiple allegations of sexually abusing a child under the age of 14.
The law provides that continuous sexual abuse, which includes sexual contact and sexual assault of a young child or children, on more than one occasion, over a period exceeding 30 days, must carry a minimum sentence of 25 years.
This case marked the second life sentence in two weeks for the 91st Judicial District Court involving child sexual abuse. On Sept. 24, 2013, William Rainey of Gorman also received a life sentence for indecency with a child.
- Updated Blacks in Texas face greatest pregnancy-related death risk
- Updated Manhunt underway in Sweetwater after attempted traffic stop
- Updated Abilene shooting victim's mother reacts to suspect's arrest
- Updated Abilene man arrested for aggravated kidnapping of girlfriend
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Drier and warmer weather for most to finish the work week