ABILENE, Texas - Larry Wayne Benton, Sr., 40, formerly of Eastland, was sentenced to life in prison for continuous sexual abuse of a young child.
The guilty verdict was returned by the jury after only 15 minutes of deliberation.
Benton was on trial for multiple allegations of sexually abusing a child under the age of 14.
The law provides that continuous sexual abuse, which includes sexual contact and sexual assault of a young child or children, on more than one occasion, over a period exceeding 30 days, must carry a minimum sentence of 25 years.
This case marked the second life sentence in two weeks for the 91st Judicial District Court involving child sexual abuse. On Sept. 24, 2013, William Rainey of Gorman also received a life sentence for indecency with a child.
- Mistrial declared in sexual assault case against ex-Anson police chief
- Updated Abilene City Council approves hiring two code enforcement officers
- Teacher Tribute: First-year Wylie teacher receives season's first honor
- 3 suspects sought by Abilene police
- Teen killed in Coleman County motorcycle-truck crash
- Brown County commissioners approve sale of old sheriff's office and jail
- Brownwood seeking community input on proposed dog park
- Police: Driver flees after crashing into Early apartment, found at liquor store
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- Inaugural Barktoberfest taking place Saturday seeks to help Brownwood youth