ABILENE, Texas - Larry Wayne Benton, Sr., 40, formerly of Eastland, was sentenced to life in prison for continuous sexual abuse of a young child.
The guilty verdict was returned by the jury after only 15 minutes of deliberation.
Benton was on trial for multiple allegations of sexually abusing a child under the age of 14.
The law provides that continuous sexual abuse, which includes sexual contact and sexual assault of a young child or children, on more than one occasion, over a period exceeding 30 days, must carry a minimum sentence of 25 years.
This case marked the second life sentence in two weeks for the 91st Judicial District Court involving child sexual abuse. On Sept. 24, 2013, William Rainey of Gorman also received a life sentence for indecency with a child.
- Mysterious fireball seen across Big Country likely a meteorite
- Police looking into social media accounts of suspects in Abilene realtor's murder
- San Angelo council to consider naming new member after embattled councilman resigns
- Reward offered for killer of 8-year-old Texas girl
- Hardin-Simmons to host regional in Division III basketball tournament
- 18 people displaced after Brownwood apartment fire
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program