This is National Police Week and in Sweetwater law enforcement officers where honored Thursday during a special ceremony.
A special award was given to a woman who had no idea she was to be honored. Edith Brothers was shot while serving as a Sweetwater police officer in 1977, 36 years ago.
She was critically injured and it took her months to recover.
Thursday, she was given a purple heart medal and a commendation bar was also presented to her by Sweetwater Police Chief Brian Frieda.
Frieda said the honor was long overdue.
- Updated Olympic gold medalist Simone Biles welcomed home to Texas
- Updated Abilene shooting victim's mother reacts to suspect's arrest
- Updated Rival schools lend football gear to Oklahoma team after fire
- Updated Active search over, suspect avoids arrest after high-speed Big Country chase
- Updated Police: Man charged in Texas mosque threat later apologized