This is National Police Week and in Sweetwater law enforcement officers where honored Thursday during a special ceremony.
A special award was given to a woman who had no idea she was to be honored. Edith Brothers was shot while serving as a Sweetwater police officer in 1977, 36 years ago.
She was critically injured and it took her months to recover.
Thursday, she was given a purple heart medal and a commendation bar was also presented to her by Sweetwater Police Chief Brian Frieda.
Frieda said the honor was long overdue.
- Abilene woman reunited with sister after travel ban struck down
- Abilene police receive $10,000 donation for new K-9
- Thief climbs in through roof at Abilene High, steals electronics
- Brownwood man accused of conning people has criminal record
- Recycling, parking, discussed at special Abilene City Council meeting