This is National Police Week and in Sweetwater law enforcement officers where honored Thursday during a special ceremony.
A special award was given to a woman who had no idea she was to be honored. Edith Brothers was shot while serving as a Sweetwater police officer in 1977, 36 years ago.
She was critically injured and it took her months to recover.
Thursday, she was given a purple heart medal and a commendation bar was also presented to her by Sweetwater Police Chief Brian Frieda.
Frieda said the honor was long overdue.
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program
- Wildfire academy held in Brownwood amid high fire danger
- TxDOT repairs section of Highway 6 destroyed by 2016 flood
- Ira ISD superintendent announces retirement after long career
- Sweetwater ISD makes choice for new head football coach/athletic director
- Brownwood man accused of conning people has criminal record
- DPS identifies driver, 32, killed in Callahan County crash