This is National Police Week and in Sweetwater law enforcement officers where honored Thursday during a special ceremony.
A special award was given to a woman who had no idea she was to be honored. Edith Brothers was shot while serving as a Sweetwater police officer in 1977, 36 years ago.
She was critically injured and it took her months to recover.
Thursday, she was given a purple heart medal and a commendation bar was also presented to her by Sweetwater Police Chief Brian Frieda.
Frieda said the honor was long overdue.
- Abilene parents keeping daughter's memory alive with foundation
- Abilene police find heroin in house, arrest 4 on drug charges
- Bangs students learn from Monday's presidential debate
- KTXS Forecast: Slight warm up today then another cold front arrives Thursday
- Brownwood murder suspect's lawyer asks for bond reduction, gag order
- Brother of fallen Dyess airman killed week before 1st anniversary of plane crash
- Callahan County employees, residents react to jail decision
- Brown County cities see decline in sales tax revenues for July
- Callahan County commissioners reverse decision to 'vacate' jail
- Totals: 5+ inches of rain recorded in parts of West Texas over weekend