HASKELL COUNTY, Texas - An 8-year-old Seymour girl died Friday from injuries sustained in a single-vehicle accident on US 277, four miles south of Weinert, police say.
Killed in the accident was Amaya Renee Fernandez. Judge David Davis pronounced her dead. Her body was taken to Smith Funeral Home in Haskell, according to a state Department of Public Safety release.
The accident occurred about 6:15 p.m. Friday.
The driver of the 1996 Ford Explorer – Marcus Gene Fernandez, 34, of Haskell – was taken to Haskell Memorial Hospital with serious/incapacitating injuries, the DPS release said.
Two other passengers – Destani Paige Fernandez, 10, of Seymour, and Nathan Julian Fernandez, 4, of Seymour – sustained non-incapacitating injuries, DPS said.
"Vehicle was traveling south on US 277," state police spokesman Frederick Biddle said in a news release. "The tread of the left rear tire separated from the tire. The vehicle went into a side skid and into the west bar ditch. The vehicle rolled multiple times coming to rest on its top facing north in a plowed filed."
All four in the vehicle were wearing seat belts, according to DPS.
- Man in custody after four-hour standoff in north Abilene
- Abilene woman reunited with sister after travel ban struck down
- Sweetwater ISD makes choice for new head football coach/athletic director
- Brownwood man accused of conning people has criminal record
- Texas officer found dead at law enforcement shooting range