When Colorado City teen Hailey Dunn went missing in late 2010, her mother defended live-in boyfriend Shawn Adkins, claiming she didn't believe he had anything to do with her daughter's disappearance.
Now, Billie Dunn isn't so sure.
"I think it's a possibility, a good possibility (Adkins was involved), after seeing the way he reacted when we broke up – and (when) I think back to what local law enforcement had told me and been trying to tell me. I just thought it wasn't true," Billie Dunn told KTXS in an exclusive interview Wednesday.
Adkins is the only "person of interest" named in Hailey Dunn's disappearance. Adkins has repeatedly said he had no involvement in the missing person case. Efforts to reach Adkins for comment have been unsuccessful.
Billie Dunn returned to the Big Country this week after skeletal remains were found in a field near Lake J.B. Thomas, about 20 miles from where Hailey Dunn was last seen. Law enforcement continue to try to determine the identity of the remains.
Noting her relationship with Adkins ended a while ago, Billie Dunn said she no longer talks to Adkins or trusts him.
"We have no contact whatsoever and haven't in a long time – and I don't want any contact with him," she said. "When I finally did get him to move out, he started harassing me badly. I saw another side of Shawn. He harassed me day-in and day-out, at work, at home….cussing me, threatening me."
And contrary to what some people think, that she was clearly aware of Adkins' involvement in her daughter's disappearance, Billie Dunn said she hasn't covered for Adkins.
"As much as we say we hate each other – and I try not to say hate cause it's such a strong word – but I hate the guy, and people are still saying maybe he did something and I knew about it. I think it's ridiculous. I've got such bigger things going on with my daughter missing," she said.
- 17 children adopted at Taylor County Courthouse on Adoption Day
- Texas spirit: How a fatal wreck brought hundreds of cheerleaders together
- Police: 2 Abilene men face federal charges for filming sexual assault of girl, 12
- Lineup announced for 7th annual Outlaws & Legends Music Festival
- Police need help identifying Abilene theft suspect
- Man, 24, killed in Jones County crash
- Reindeer involved in accident near Sweetwater weeks before Christmas
- Fire chief: 10 pigs killed in Sweetwater ISD ag barn fire
- Ranger College's Gillispie announces sudden retirement from coaching
- Brown County: Man receives 10-year sentence for failing to follow through on internet sale