ASPERMONT, Texas - A 46-year-old Hamlin man died Wednesday after being involved in a fiery, single-vehicle accident on US 83 in Stonewall County, according to State Police.
George Preston Scifres, who worked at a tire shop, was driving a 2001 Chevrolet 2500 Pickup just after 3 a.m. Wednesday about 1.3 miles north of Aspermont when the accident occurred.
Justice of the Peace Mike English pronounced Scifres dead at 4:12 a.m. Wednesday, State Police Trooper Frederick Biddle said. Scifres' body was taken to Giles McCoy Funeral Home in Aspermont.
"The pickup was traveling south on US 83," Biddle said in a news release. "The vehicle crossed the northbound lane and struck a guardrail on the east side of the road. It continued through the ditch and ran off of a small ravine. The vehicle then rolled onto the passenger side. The vehicle caught fire and burned with the driver inside."
- Rose Park aquatic center to open this summer
- Abilene City Council to consider payday loan restrictions
- Major businesses push back against Texas' proposed bathroom bill
- Dashcam video of San Angelo councilman's altercation with police released
- KTXS Forecast: Warm & windy weather brings enhanced fire danger