TUSCOLA, Texas - David Hogan, a physics teacher and the principal of Jim Ned High School, is this week's Teacher Tribute award winner.
Hogan, who became principal this school year and has been teaching for seven years, said the award came as a complete surprise and that teaching is his calling.
"I just have a pretty strong conviction that we're gifted to do certain things and I think I was gifted to teach," Hogan said.
Justice Sasin, a senior in his physics class, nominated him. She said she enjoys how Hogan uses demonstrations to teach physics.
"He's had a great impact on my grades," Sasin said. "He really cares about everyone in the classroom, he doesn't play favorites and he makes sure we all know what we're doing before he moves on."
Hogan said he thinks just as highly of Sasin.
"She's a hard worker, she tends to business and she works at it until she understands it," Hogan said.
Hogan said he and other teachers work hard to make sure they teach their students skills that will be useful inside and outside of a classroom setting.
"Hopefully the way we treat them is earning their respect because we want them to leave here doing a little bit of physics, but want them to leave here being good citizens and knowing how to treat other people and that's our main goal," Hogan said.
Though Sasin does not yet know what she wants to study when she gets to Texas Tech University in August, she said Hogan has given her some solid advice to take with her.
"He has told us not to be a sheep, don't follow, be your own person, make your own decisions. Don't do anything just because someone else is doing it," Sasin said.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated