BROWNWOOD, Texas - A jury on Monday convicted 24-year-old Matthew Scott Navarro of capital murder in connection with the Dec. 11, 2009 shooting death of Ronald Philen in Brownwood.
That's according to the Brownwood Bulletin, which also noted District Judge Steve Ellis sentenced Navarro to life in prison with no possibility of parole.
The Bulletin reports Ellis said the sentence is mandated by law when the state waives the death penalty.
Navarro had been accused of being one of four men who broke into Philen's home looking to steal marijuana. The three other mean are already serving prison time for their connection to the murder.
- Updated Manhunt underway in Sweetwater after attempted traffic stop
- Abilene shooting victim's mother reacts to suspect's arrest
- Abilene man arrested for aggravated kidnapping of girlfriend
- Abilene residents weigh in on 25 years of the World Wide Web
- No tax increases in proposed Brownwood budget for 2016-2017