BROWNWOOD, Texas - A jury on Monday convicted 24-year-old Matthew Scott Navarro of capital murder in connection with the Dec. 11, 2009 shooting death of Ronald Philen in Brownwood.
That's according to the Brownwood Bulletin, which also noted District Judge Steve Ellis sentenced Navarro to life in prison with no possibility of parole.
The Bulletin reports Ellis said the sentence is mandated by law when the state waives the death penalty.
Navarro had been accused of being one of four men who broke into Philen's home looking to steal marijuana. The three other mean are already serving prison time for their connection to the murder.
- Updated Supporters mark slain girl's 10th birthday in Albuquerque
- Updated Police: 2 College Station deaths related to drugs, robbery
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Afternoon pop-up showers possible each day this week
- Updated Fried Jell-O among top food winners for State Fair of Texas
- Updated Construction to begin on Highway 351 in north Abilene