SWEETWATER, Texas - Starting Tuesday, it'll get a little more difficult to travel through Sweetwater. 1.3 miles of Lamar Street are scheduled for a major facelift.
The area worked on will be from Interstate 20 to Avenue B. The Texas Department of Transportation will be completely rebuilding the road base, then laying new asphalt. They're also slated to build new concrete intersections to improve storm drainage.
Tuesday work crews will limit traffic to just one lane on each side of Lamar. However, access to businesses will be ensured, and work in front of the school on Lamar won't begin till the summer break of 2014.
The $6.5 million project is slated for completion in 2015.
- Updated Woman, 36, is 2nd arrested in connection with Abilene mother's murder
- Federal agency publishes timetable for President Trump's Mexico border wall
- Texas murder suspect arrested; was in Daytona for the races
- Los Arcos restaurant to reopen Wednesday in Abilene
- Crews battling wildfires in Texas Panhandle, Oklahoma
- Woman, 36, is 2nd arrested in connection with Abilene mother's murder
- Abilene BBB on high alert for phone scammers claiming to be with IRS
- Savage threatens resignation from city council over business issue
- Wanted: Abilene police seek teen & woman
- Abilene City Council chooses water rate study after high bills