STEPHENS COUNTY, Texas - A helicopter crash about 16 miles east of Breckenridge left one dead and injured another Tuesday afternoon.
Killed in the crash was James Robert Kelly, 75, a rancher from East Caddo who was passenger in the helicopter. Kelly's funeral services were held Friday afternoon in Breckenridge. He is survived by his wife, two children, and five grand children.
Injured was pilot Stephen Mills Reid, 75, of Aledo, who sustained minor injuries.
According to a Texas Department of Public Safety news release, the crash happened around 1:37 p.m. northeast of Caddo in Stephens County.
The helicopter was a Hughes Rotocraft OH-6A Turbo Shaft owned by SMR, Venture LLC out of Delaware.
DPS said the pilot said he were hovering over a stock tank when he lost control of the helicopter. The helicopter crashed into the water.
- Updated Man on Texas death row for killing 2 loses appeal
- Updated New 'Dancing With the Stars' cast includes ex-Gov. Rick Perry, 12 others
- Updated Armored car guard shot, killed in Texas ATM robbery
- Updated Teacher fired in West Texas after Internet post hired by another district
- Police ID West Texas man who died while hiking
- Abilene, Big Country teams ranked in AP football poll
- Abilene ISD expecting more money from state for higher enrollment
- Clyde community raises money for family after car accident
- Homeowner: '20 or 30 years of my life gone' in Abilene house fire
- Bulldogs find way to win in mistake-filled season opener against Vernon