CLYDE, Texas - A Clyde woman who was reported missing on Christmas Day was found dead near her home Thursday morning.
Callahan County Sheriff Terry Joy told KTXS he does not suspect foul play in the death of 92-year-old Ruby McCord Lester. He said her family told him Lester suffered from slight dementia.
The search began around 12 p.m. Wednesday after her family dropped by her home on County Road 120 to pick her up for Christmas festivities and they could not find her. The last time they had spoken to her was Monday night to plan Christmas festivities.
"She wasn't in the house and her front door was unlocked and she always keeps her doors locked," Joy said. "[Her family] could tell that she slept in her bed that night and her coat was still hanging up and the only thing missing was her night gown and her house shoes. So they assumed she left the house in her night gown and house shoes."
People and agencies from around the Big Country volunteered to search for her. Search dogs from Colorado City were also assisted.
"The dogs did get a hit on her trail, but they came up to a dead end," Joy said. "We also had a helicopter - DPS helicopter – that came down and searched [Wednesday]."
A private helicopter pilot found her around 8:30 a.m. Thursday.
"He volunteered his service—Cedar Ridge Helicopter Company—young man by the name of Dustin Johnson," Joy said. "He's a good pilot and he spotted her within 5 to 10 minutes after he was in the air."
Joy said she was found not far from home.
"She was only about 100 yards from the house," Joy said. "We don't know why she walked in this direction, why she went in this area, but she was lying there in the grass."
Joy said her family told him Lester always wanted to maintain her independence.
"I know she lived a good life, she had her freedom," Joy said. "I know she was there living by herself and I know she had good neighbors, she was well-taken care of her children checked on her regularly."
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated