MITCHELL COUNTY, Texas - Kerry Wade Helstein, 51, is in custody after fleeing a Mitchell County Sheriff's deputy late Sunday night.
The deputy stopped a car with Missouri plates on I-20. Helstein refused to get out, then sped off dragging the deputy a short distance before he fell off. The deputy is said to be fine.
The deputy got back in his car and followed the suspect to I-20 and Doran Road. Helstein ditched the car and took off on foot.
A woman passenger was still in the car. She is identified at 21-year-old Jessica Strother. She is in police custody.
The car turned out to be stolen from Missouri.
Several law enforcement agencies and a helicopter from Lubbock searched for Helstein.
Around 7 a.m. Monday, reports came in that Helstein was running on the side of the interstate, then ran into a pasture.
Mitchell County Deputies went after him. Helstein gave himself up.
Helstein was wanted for theft, failure to appear in court, and parole violations in Missouri. He will now also be charged with fleeing and assault on a peace officer.
- Texas sales tax holiday set for first weekend of August
- 3 Big Country hospitals receive high marks from federal government
- Boy, 7, finds key, unlocks Texas gun cabinet, shoots self
- Abilenians sought for curbside recycling program, deadline Monday
- Tax rate increase approved by Abilene City Council in first reading