MITCHELL COUNTY, Texas - Kerry Wade Helstein, 51, is in custody after fleeing a Mitchell County Sheriff's deputy late Sunday night.
The deputy stopped a car with Missouri plates on I-20. Helstein refused to get out, then sped off dragging the deputy a short distance before he fell off. The deputy is said to be fine.
The deputy got back in his car and followed the suspect to I-20 and Doran Road. Helstein ditched the car and took off on foot.
A woman passenger was still in the car. She is identified at 21-year-old Jessica Strother. She is in police custody.
The car turned out to be stolen from Missouri.
Several law enforcement agencies and a helicopter from Lubbock searched for Helstein.
Around 7 a.m. Monday, reports came in that Helstein was running on the side of the interstate, then ran into a pasture.
Mitchell County Deputies went after him. Helstein gave himself up.
Helstein was wanted for theft, failure to appear in court, and parole violations in Missouri. He will now also be charged with fleeing and assault on a peace officer.
- Updated Police identify victim in west Abilene homicide
- LIVE FBI reviewing new emails in Clinton classified information probe
- Parents charged after toddler dies in Texas house fire
- Wife of Texas teacher charged in 2 deaths accused of tampering
- Police: Texas college student rams squad car while taking topless selfie
- Brown County commissioners approve sale of old sheriff's office and jail
- Brownwood seeking community input on proposed dog park
- Police: Driver flees after crashing into Early apartment, found at liquor store
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- Inaugural Barktoberfest taking place Saturday seeks to help Brownwood youth
- Teen killed in Coleman County motorcycle-truck crash
- Teacher Tribute: First-year Wylie teacher receives season's first honor
- Brookesmith school board selects interim superintendent
- Victim testifies against former chief in Anson sexual assault trial
- Clyde Intermediate School teachers save student from choking