ABILENE, Texas - A motorcycle club will provide escort Wednesday from Tom Green to Taylor County for family members of a Reagan County deputy who a Lake Brownwood man fatally shot before being involved in a 17-hour standoff in Big Lake.
Joshua Shane Mitchell's family is scheduled to attend a 2 p.m. service at Hardin-Simmons University's Logsden Chapel for peace officers killed in the line of duty.
According to a news release, the San Angelo chapter of the "Blue Knights" motorcyle club – a national organization of law enforcement officers – will provide escort from Tom Green County to Taylor County.
From there, Taylor County deputies will lead the procession from the county line on Highway 277 south at about 1 p.m. and then onto Winters Freeway, north to the Pine Street exit, and then down Pine Street to HSU.
Mitchell was allegedly shot by 42-year-old Lake Brownwood resident Marcus Wade Madison on Aug. 1, 2012, in Big Lake.
Madison later was involved in the standoff and died after shooting himself in the face in an attempted suicide. He was taken off of life support at a Reagan County hospital.
While Madison was in Brown County, he reportedly lived in the Shamrock Shores area of Lake Brownwood. Madison was arrested in Brown County on July 7, 2012, for family violence, resisting arrest, and retaliation or obstruction. He posted bail on July 14, 2012.
- Big Country high school marching bands compete at Abilene stadium
- Taylor Co. residents to vote on $55M bond to renovate expo center
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- Sentencing phase kicks off in murder trial of Abilene teen
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer