ANSON, Texas - On June 4, a 2-year-old boy drowned in a backyard pool in Anson. Brendyn Garrett was playing outside when he was left alone for just a short minute.
His father, Austin Garrett, has since been arrested and charged with child endangerment and abandonment. That is a second-degree felony and he could face up to 20 years in prison and/or a $10,000 fine.
According to Anson police, Austin Garrett was playing video games inside his grandparent's home when the child drowned.
After speaking with family members, we learned there was more to the story.
Austin Garrett's grandmother told us his younger brother, Preston, was outside playing with 2-year-old Brendyn, when he came inside to get a drink of water. The grandmother said when Garrett went outside with Preston, Brendyn was gone. They looked around outside and finally found Brendyn in the pool.
Garrett pulled his son out of the pool and performed CPR until the paramedics came and took over, according to the grandmother.
Brendyn died after arriving at Anson General Hospital.
Garrett's grandmother said that he is a good father and he never neglected his son. She said this was just a tragic accident.
- Updated 1 dead after 2 vehicles go into water-filled Texas sinkhole
- Iraan grad rounding up support from Texas cheerleaders after deadly bus crash
- Updated Oakland fire death toll at 36, likely to climb as investigation continues
- Prominent Texas personal injury attorney dies week after daughter's suicide
- KTXS Forecast: One last shot of rain today, then much colder air arrives by mid-week
- 1 killed in crash on I-20 involving bus carrying high school cheerleaders
- Goodfellows spread holiday cheer in Sweetwater with toy drive
- Rangers turn completed Brown Co. Attorney investigation over to feds
- Ballinger man arrested for ramming multiple patrol cars
- Thousands attend Brownwood Christmas parade