COLORADO CITY, Texas - Get ready for an even bigger economic impact in Colorado City.
Mitchell County officials will announce construction of a new natural gas powered electric plant Monday.
The power plant will be built just south of Westbrook and is expected to be completed by 2015.
The construction could bring about 1,000 jobs to the area. Once the power plant is up and running there will be 22 permanent jobs created.
The natural gas to power the plant could be coming from the Cline Shale, a large oil and natural gas deposit that sits below several western Big Country counties.
Construction on the project is expected to begin soon.
- Texas Roadhouse in Abilene donating to non-profit for cancer patients
- Man pleads guilty in connection with brutal 2014 Abilene murder, sentenced to life
- Abilene man fires shot during fight with roommate
- $4,000 TV stolen during burglary of Abilene apartment
- More Abilene convenience store robberies reported
- Brown County cities see decline in sales tax revenues for July
- Callahan County commissioners reverse decision to 'vacate' jail
- Totals: 5+ inches of rain recorded in parts of West Texas over weekend
- Low enrollment causing Brookesmith ISD to look into restructuring
- Firefighters respond to house fire in Clyde, rescue dog