BLANKET, Texas - The Texas Department of Public Safety reported a tornado around 6 p.m. in the town of about 400 residents located in the northeastern part of Brown County.
The National Weather Service will survey the damage to see if it was indeed caused by a weak tornado.
The storm damaged the Blanket school just before 6 pm, ripping part of the gym roof off and causing quite a bit of damage to the west side of the school. Classes had been dismissed at the time.
Many trees and utility polls are also down in the Blanket area.
The Blanket superintendent tells KTXS News that classes have been canceled for the rest of the school year but graduation will be held. This was to have been the final week of classes anyway in Blanket.
- Updated TDCJ: Criminal charges against Abilene corrections officer dismissed
- Updated New 'Dancing With the Stars' cast includes ex-Gov. Rick Perry, 12 others
- Updated Phoenix-area woman finds 7-foot-long snake near trash
- Updated Man on Texas death row for killing 2 loses appeal
- Updated Armored car guard shot, killed in Texas ATM robbery
- Abilene, Big Country teams ranked in AP football poll
- Abilene ISD expecting more money from state for higher enrollment
- Clyde community raises money for family after car accident
- Homeowner: '20 or 30 years of my life gone' in Abilene house fire
- TDCJ: Criminal charges against Abilene corrections officer dismissed