BROWNWOOD, Texas - A 7 percent pay raise is being sought for all Brown County Sheriff's Department employees.
About half of the 75 employees work in the Brown County Jail, while the other half are employed in enforcement.
The proposal calls for the increase of jailers' salaries from $24,000 to $27,000 and then to $30,000 after the first year.
Sheriff Bobby Grubbs said compared to other agencies their work often exceeds performance standards.
Brown County commissioners are scheduled to hold a budget hearing on Wednesday, July 23. At that time, the pay raise requests will be presented.
- Updated Italy earthquake: A country in mourning begins burying the dead
- Abilene Fire Department working house fire on Graham Street
- Enrollment up at Abilene, Wylie school districts
- Video of woman chasing cat on Texas tollway prompts warning
- Perfect strangers perform unforgettable duet at Texas hospital