BLACKWELL, Texas - A 71-year-old pilot of an experimental aircraft was killed Sunday in a crash about seven miles west of Blackwell in Nolan County.
Killed in the accident was Weldon Pat Oden of Blackwell, the Department of Public Safety said. Oden's body was taken to McCoy Funeral Home in Sweetwater.
According to the Federal Aviation Administration, Oden reportedly went to the airport early Sunday, his wife tried to reach him and couldn't, and law enforcement located the "accident site" about 8:15 p.m.
Oden had taken off in the single-engine aircraft about noon Sunday from a private airstrip near where the crash occurred, DPS spokesman Frederick Biddle said in an email.
The FAA is investigating, Lunsford said.
The amateur-built Kitfox IV Speedster was registered to Oden, FAA records show.
Records show Oden has lived in Blackwell, Texas; Saint Anthony, Idaho, and Great Falls, Montana.
- Updated Big Country high school marching bands compete at Abilene stadium
- Updated Taylor Co. residents to vote on $55M bond to renovate expo center
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- Sentencing phase kicks off in murder trial of Abilene teen
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer