BLACKWELL, Texas - A 71-year-old pilot of an experimental aircraft was killed Sunday in a crash about seven miles west of Blackwell in Nolan County.
Killed in the accident was Weldon Pat Oden of Blackwell, the Department of Public Safety said. Oden's body was taken to McCoy Funeral Home in Sweetwater.
According to the Federal Aviation Administration, Oden reportedly went to the airport early Sunday, his wife tried to reach him and couldn't, and law enforcement located the "accident site" about 8:15 p.m.
Oden had taken off in the single-engine aircraft about noon Sunday from a private airstrip near where the crash occurred, DPS spokesman Frederick Biddle said in an email.
The FAA is investigating, Lunsford said.
The amateur-built Kitfox IV Speedster was registered to Oden, FAA records show.
Records show Oden has lived in Blackwell, Texas; Saint Anthony, Idaho, and Great Falls, Montana.
- Updated Blacks in Texas face greatest pregnancy-related death risk
- Updated Manhunt underway in Sweetwater after attempted traffic stop
- Updated Abilene shooting victim's mother reacts to suspect's arrest
- Updated Abilene man arrested for aggravated kidnapping of girlfriend
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Drier and warmer weather for most to finish the work week