BLACKWELL, Texas - A 71-year-old pilot of an experimental aircraft was killed Sunday in a crash about seven miles west of Blackwell in Nolan County.
Killed in the accident was Weldon Pat Oden of Blackwell, the Department of Public Safety said. Oden's body was taken to McCoy Funeral Home in Sweetwater.
According to the Federal Aviation Administration, Oden reportedly went to the airport early Sunday, his wife tried to reach him and couldn't, and law enforcement located the "accident site" about 8:15 p.m.
Oden had taken off in the single-engine aircraft about noon Sunday from a private airstrip near where the crash occurred, DPS spokesman Frederick Biddle said in an email.
The FAA is investigating, Lunsford said.
The amateur-built Kitfox IV Speedster was registered to Oden, FAA records show.
Records show Oden has lived in Blackwell, Texas; Saint Anthony, Idaho, and Great Falls, Montana.
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Improvements on way for Abilene Zoo if council approves bid
- Missing elderly woman found stuck in mud by two Abilene men
- Abilene council to consider approving water rate study, audit
- Abilene attorney vying for Abilene City Council Place 3 spot
- Council 'work session' to focus on curbside recycling, downtown Abilene parking