HASKELL, Texas - A Haskell homeowner shot an intruder "several times" in the upper chest, leg and hand late Tuesday after the 22-year-old invader kicked down the front door and advanced toward the owner, police said.
After being shot by the unidentified homeowner at the home in the 800 block of South 1st Street about 11 p.m., Cody Wyrick – who had a birthday Wednesday – was transported to Haskell Memorial Hospital and later transported via helicopter to Hendrick Medical Center in Abilene, according to a news release.
Wyrick's condition hadn't been revealed as of early Wednesday afternoon.
According to the Haskell Police Department report, the homeowner confronted Wyrick with a handgun and told Wyrick to "stop or he would shoot him Wyrick continued to advanced towards the homeowner getting shot several times."
The investigation is ongoing. The Haskell Police Department is working with the Texas Rangers on the case.
- Updated Crews battling wildfires in Texas Panhandle, Oklahoma
- Savage threatens resignation from city council over business issue
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program
- Updated High levels of ammonia in Texas home where some 430 animals found
- JCPenney to close up to 140 stores