JONES COUNTY, Texas - Authorities have identified a 50-year-old Abilene man as the individual shot and killed while apparently on his way to work early Wednesday on Hwy 277 – just north of Abilene – in Jones County
Filomeno Salas Jr. died as a result of gunshot wounds in what has been determined to be a homicide, officials said Thursday.
The Texas Rangers have taken over the investigation from the Jones County Sheriff's Department, Department of Public Safety spokesman Frederick Biddle said in an email.
"We need to emphasize the need for anyone traveling on Hwy 277 in the early morning hours of (September) 3rd to please contact law enforcement if they saw anything at all," Biddle said in a news release.
Salas was found dead Wednesday in a black four-door Toyota truck on the side of Hwy 277.
Because witnesses may be "from across or outside the area," they are being asked to contact their local law enforcement agency or CrimeStoppers, Biddle said.
"They will pass the information back to the (Texas) Ranger," Biddle said, adding no other information will be released at this time.
A yet-to-be-identified Abilene man was shot and killed while apparently on his way to work early Wednesday morning on Hwy 277 – just north of Abilene – in Jones County.
The case has been ruled a homicide, said Danny Jimenez, chief deputy for the Jones County Sheriff's Office.
Several bullet holes were observed to the driver-side door and window of the black four-door Toyota truck that the man was driving.
Jimenez said authorities are asking anyone who saw the deceased man's truck between 6:30 a.m. and 6:45 a.m. Wednesday to contact Jones County at (325) 823-4604.
Officials say it is the first homicide of the year in Jones County.
Jones County deputies say they received the call just before 7 a.m. of a man pulled over on the side of Hwy 277. Deputies have contacted nearby businesses for possible surveillance video.
Investigators didn't immediately say if there was a suspect or were suspects in the homicide or if they knew of a possible motive.
Crime scene tape was immediately put up – and northbound traffic was reduced to one lane about a mile north of the Abilene city limits on Hwy 277.
Officers spent time looking at a black Toyota truck and nearby land. Jones County Justice of the Peace Cheryl Guernsey took the unidentified man's body away about 9:20 a.m. The body was taken to Tarrant County for an autopsy.
Department of Public Safety investigators and Jones County deputies were on the scene to investigate.
KTXS will continue to provide updates as they become available.
- Abilene parents keeping daughter's memory alive with foundation
- Abilene police find heroin in house, arrest 4 on drug charges
- Bangs students learn from Monday's presidential debate
- KTXS Forecast: Slight warm up today then another cold front arrives Thursday
- Brownwood murder suspect's lawyer asks for bond reduction, gag order
- Brother of fallen Dyess airman killed week before 1st anniversary of plane crash
- Callahan County employees, residents react to jail decision
- Brown County cities see decline in sales tax revenues for July
- Callahan County commissioners reverse decision to 'vacate' jail
- Totals: 5+ inches of rain recorded in parts of West Texas over weekend