BROWNWOOD, Texas - Archery is a growing sport in the Brown county area but Maurice Higgins says he's always had a love for it.
"I really enjoy shooting," said Higgins "It's something you can carry around for a lifetime."
Higgins of Bangs travels across the nation competing. He has participated in Archery Shooters Association Classic tournament in the past but this year he brought home first place. He competed in the Super Senior level which contained shooters ages 60 to 70.
"This time I really had 2 days together. Second place was 7 points behind me so I had a lead going in the first day and I was able to hang on to it," said Higgins.
He's been shooting since 1991 when he joined the Brownwood Bow Hunter Association. Higgins retired after 35 years of teaching, most of which was at Bangs ISD.
- Abilene parents keeping daughter's memory alive with foundation
- Updated Abilene police find heroin in house, arrest 4 on drug charges
- Bangs students learn from Monday's presidential debate
- Brownwood murder suspect's lawyer asks for bond reduction, gag order
- KTXS Forecast: Tracking another cold front
- Brother of fallen Dyess airman killed week before 1st anniversary of plane crash
- Callahan County employees, residents react to jail decision
- Brown County cities see decline in sales tax revenues for July
- Callahan County commissioners reverse decision to 'vacate' jail
- Totals: 5+ inches of rain recorded in parts of West Texas over weekend