BROWNWOOD, Texas - Archery is a growing sport in the Brown county area but Maurice Higgins says he's always had a love for it.
"I really enjoy shooting," said Higgins "It's something you can carry around for a lifetime."
Higgins of Bangs travels across the nation competing. He has participated in Archery Shooters Association Classic tournament in the past but this year he brought home first place. He competed in the Super Senior level which contained shooters ages 60 to 70.
"This time I really had 2 days together. Second place was 7 points behind me so I had a lead going in the first day and I was able to hang on to it," said Higgins.
He's been shooting since 1991 when he joined the Brownwood Bow Hunter Association. Higgins retired after 35 years of teaching, most of which was at Bangs ISD.
- Brown County commissioners approve sale of old sheriff's office and jail
- Brownwood seeking community input on proposed dog park
- Police: Driver flees after crashing into Early apartment, found at liquor store
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- Inaugural Barktoberfest taking place Saturday seeks to help Brownwood youth