BROWNWOOD, Texas - Archery is a growing sport in the Brown county area but Maurice Higgins says he's always had a love for it.
"I really enjoy shooting," said Higgins "It's something you can carry around for a lifetime."
Higgins of Bangs travels across the nation competing. He has participated in Archery Shooters Association Classic tournament in the past but this year he brought home first place. He competed in the Super Senior level which contained shooters ages 60 to 70.
"This time I really had 2 days together. Second place was 7 points behind me so I had a lead going in the first day and I was able to hang on to it," said Higgins.
He's been shooting since 1991 when he joined the Brownwood Bow Hunter Association. Higgins retired after 35 years of teaching, most of which was at Bangs ISD.
- Updated Abilene shooting victim's mother reacts to suspect's arrest
- Updated DPS identifies man killed in Hwy 84 crash near Santa Anna, Coleman
- Updated Abilene man arrested for aggravated kidnapping of girlfriend
- Updated Abilene residents weigh in on 25 years of the World Wide Web
- Updated No tax increases in proposed Brownwood budget for 2016-2017