ROTAN, Texas - Rotan's Family Dollar is set to re-open on Sunday after being closed for a month due to June's hailstorm, that's according to a member of management at the store.
It is only one of the few stores the residents can shop at for groceries and essentials.
"At work and at home, you need last minute little things that you don't have the time to go out of town to get," Donna Martinez, lifetime Rotan resident, said. "Now we don't have a place to go, you can either go to Dollar General in Hamlin or Sweetwater."
A sign posted on the door reads "Closed due to damage till further notice," but that gives very little explanation to the residents.
"It's not good, we all have to drive 30 minutes to Sweetwater, 30 minutes to Snyder to get anything," Shannon Mollett, Rotan resident, said. "Gas money, here, there, stuff ain't cheap anyway these days and it's a small town so there isn't that much money."
Martinez said this isn't the first time the store has closed, but she's hoping the repairs will be done sooner rather than later.
"This is not the first time," Martinez said. "Those are some older buildings and they have a lot of issues with them, every time we get a big storm they either flood or, that's the same way with White's."
- Updated 3 Big Country hospitals receive high marks from federal government
- Updated Boy, 7, finds key, unlocks Texas gun cabinet, shoots self
- Updated Abilenians sought for curbside recycling program, deadline Monday
- Updated Tax rate increase approved by Abilene City Council in first reading
- Updated 'Emergency contract' awarded to build new bridge on Hwy 6 at Lake Cisco