SWEETWATER, Texas - The 56th Annual Rattlesnake Roundup in Sweetwater is just around the corner.
KTXS got an up-close look Friday during Media Day at what people can expect to see at the event.
Touted as the world's largest rattlesnake roundup, the event features snake-handling demonstrations, the Miss Snake Charmer Pageant, various food vendors, and if it pleases your palette, deep-fried rattlesnake.
Long-time snake hunter, Riley Sawyers, explained why they're paying more money per pound for snakes this year.
"During this time, other buyers come into town and try to undercut the market, so we try to set the market price high enough that maybe we can avoid that from happening," Sawyers said.
Media were shown how to handle snakes safely, how to milk snakes for venom, and they went along on a snake hunt, where snakes were gassed out of their dens.
- Brownwood police asking for public's help in finding escaped man
- Blanket man gets 15 years for two separate agg. assault cases
- Brownwood woman gets 20 years in prison for injuring child
- Brownwood City Council approves bid for sports complex additions
- Brownwood City Council unanimously passes new budget