SWEETWATER, Texas - A grass fire on County Road 303 on the east side of Lake Sweetwater -- about half mile south of the bait shop -- has burned 35 to 40 acres and is roughly 40 to 50 percent contained.
Two sheds were lost, while two nearby houses were saved as the fire was stopped short.
No residents have been evacuated but some gathered items just in case.
A firefighter suffered second-degree burns but still continued battling the blaze.
Officials believe the fire started when the mower of the man mowing his lawn backfired.
Forest service officials say bulldozers are being used to try and cut fire lines to prevent the blaze from spreading.
The first call about the fire came in at 10:24 a.m.
We will update you on this situation as soon as more information comes to our newsroom.
- Texas gunman had 2 weapons, thousands of rounds at scene
- Children subject of Amber Alert found dead, mother arrested
- KTXS Forecast: Isolated sprinkles possible then drying afternoon
- North Texas son, 18, gets life in prison for killing parents
- Fugitive Monday: Man, 27, wanted by Abilene police for parole violation
- Texas Roadhouse in Abilene donating to non-profit for cancer patients
- Man pleads guilty in connection with brutal 2014 Abilene murder, sentenced to life
- Abilene man fires shot during fight with roommate
- $4,000 TV stolen during burglary of Abilene apartment
- More Abilene convenience store robberies reported
- Brown County cities see decline in sales tax revenues for July
- Callahan County commissioners reverse decision to 'vacate' jail
- Totals: 5+ inches of rain recorded in parts of West Texas over weekend
- Low enrollment causing Brookesmith ISD to look into restructuring
- Firefighters respond to house fire in Clyde, rescue dog