SWEETWATER, Texas - A grass fire on County Road 303 on the east side of Lake Sweetwater -- about half mile south of the bait shop -- has burned 35 to 40 acres and is roughly 40 to 50 percent contained.
Two sheds were lost, while two nearby houses were saved as the fire was stopped short.
No residents have been evacuated but some gathered items just in case.
A firefighter suffered second-degree burns but still continued battling the blaze.
Officials believe the fire started when the mower of the man mowing his lawn backfired.
Forest service officials say bulldozers are being used to try and cut fire lines to prevent the blaze from spreading.
The first call about the fire came in at 10:24 a.m.
We will update you on this situation as soon as more information comes to our newsroom.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated
- Walter murder trial: 'Formality' in sentencing to call Abilene couple back to court Thursday