SNYDER, Texas - A Snyder man was sentenced Friday to 99 years in prison in connection with the October 2012 shooting death of his 26-year-old daughter.
A Scurry County jury had previously convicted James Smith of murder for killing his daughter, Mattie.
Smith still faces aggravated assault with a deadly weapon charges for allegedly also shooting his wife, Jeanie, during an argument that apparently got out of control. Jeanie Smith lived after she was taken to a Lubbock hospital.
According to Snyder police, the altercation took place at the Smith home in the 1300 block of 23rd Street.
Police have said he was still at the scene when officers arrived and was cooperative.
Texas Rangers and the Scurry County District Attorney's Office assisted Snyder police with the investigation.
- Savage threatens resignation from city council over business issue
- Police arrest San Angelo city employee after theft investigation
- Abilene BBB on high alert for phone scammers claiming to be with IRS
- Wildfire academy held in Brownwood amid high fire danger
- Texas ag chief OKs use of poison to bring a 'hog apocalypse'