SWEETWATER, Texas - Tina Melendez of Sweetwater is this week's Teacher Tribute winner.
Melendez teaches Spanish at Sweetwater High School. She said she strives to teach students the value of responsibility, integrity and determination.
Her students said she does that every day and described her as a role model. The student who nominated her, Joe Alaniz, said Melendez is a caring individual who even visited him at home after he broke his leg.
Melendez said she is thankful to have been nominated for the award.
"I love teaching kids another language," Melendez said. "It's so important to be bilingual because you're more powerful than a person who knows one [language]. And I just get so excited when my students are actually communicating with me in that language [Spanish]. And I have quite a few that have gone through my classes that can actually hold a conversation with me in Spanish."
If you'd like to nominate a teacher, click here.
- Chili Day and Auction raises money for children's programs
- Woman, 36, is 2nd arrested in connection with Abilene mother's murder
- Workshop at ACU gets people ready for gardening season
- McMurry professor highlights 181st anniversary of the Battle of the Alamo
- State seeks death penalty for man accused of killing correctional officer
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program
- Wildfire academy held in Brownwood amid high fire danger
- TxDOT repairs section of Highway 6 destroyed by 2016 flood
- Ira ISD superintendent announces retirement after long career
- Sweetwater ISD makes choice for new head football coach/athletic director
- Brownwood man accused of conning people has criminal record
- DPS identifies driver, 32, killed in Callahan County crash