SWEETWATER, Texas - Sweetwater mayor Greg Wortham has resigned.
Wortham tendered his resignation to the Sweetwater City Commission on Tuesday.
Wortham told us he did so because he plans on running for the District 28 State Senate seat vacated by Robert Duncan. Duncan is now chancellor of Texas Tech University.
Wortham has been Sweetwater mayor since 2007.
He'll be seeking the District 28 seat that represents a big slice of West Texas. Governor Rick Perry will soon call a special election that will be held in November.
Wortham said the Sweetwater City Commission will name a new mayor at their Tuesday, July 15 meeting. That person will hold the office until the next mayoral election in May of 2015.
- Updated Abilene councilman on water bill complaints: Meters are being read
- Updated Foreign national leads high-speed chase, fires shots through Big Country
- Updated City of Abilene receives 2,000+ complaints or comments about water bills
- Updated Abilene requests proposals for new downtown hotel and 'festival district'
- Updated August 2016 ties August 1914 as wettest in Texas
- Abilene requests proposals for new downtown hotel and 'festival district'
- Paint Creek reacts to Perry's Dancing with the Stars casting
- Businesses near Big Country lakes hoping for big Labor Day turnout
- Zephyr ISD sues over faulty turf, relocates home football games
- Hunters, Abilene charity anticipate start of dove hunting season