SWEETWATER, Texas - Sweetwater mayor Greg Wortham has resigned.
Wortham tendered his resignation to the Sweetwater City Commission on Tuesday.
Wortham told us he did so because he plans on running for the District 28 State Senate seat vacated by Robert Duncan. Duncan is now chancellor of Texas Tech University.
Wortham has been Sweetwater mayor since 2007.
He'll be seeking the District 28 seat that represents a big slice of West Texas. Governor Rick Perry will soon call a special election that will be held in November.
Wortham said the Sweetwater City Commission will name a new mayor at their Tuesday, July 15 meeting. That person will hold the office until the next mayoral election in May of 2015.
- Hillary Clinton's challenge: Igniting excitement
- Updated Building partially collapses in Hamlin
- Updated 3 Big Country hospitals receive high marks from federal government
- Updated Abilenians sought for curbside recycling program, deadline Monday
- Updated Texas sales tax holiday set for first weekend of August