ANSON, Texas - Donna Barker of Anson High School is this week's Teacher Tribute winner.
Barker has been teaching English at the high school for 9 years and had taught in Oklahoma for 20 years before coming to Anson.
"I enjoy the students, that's why I do it," Barker said. "I like the kids, I like to interact with them and the teaching just comes extra."
Savanah Lozano and Case Graham wanted to make sure this school year stood out for her. That is why they nominated her for Teacher Tribute.
Graham said he will never forget Barker's kindness. She paid him a home visit after he had surgery in the ninth grade.
"I just never had a teacher like that and I've really—not to say this in a weird way—but I really love her for that…I know that she loves me and I really appreciate her and all the effort that she has put in to help me through my life," Graham said.
Lozano said Barker has also helped her raise funds for her medical expenses.
"I love her with all my heart," Lozano said.
Barker said being recognized through Teacher Tribute is her most fond memory so far this school year. She said she never expected she would be featured.
"I thought they just made an impact on me, I didn't realize I made an impact on them," Barker said.
If you would like to nominate a teacher for Teacher Tribute, click here or pick up an application at your school's front office.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated